Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Day

I was at work last night, and went to clean the women's restroom around 8. There was a girl in the first stall, and I noticed there was a little bit of blood on the floor there. Not a whole lot, but still more than there should have been. When she finally came out (which took her a little while) I noticed the area around the wrists of the sweater she was wearing had been cut, but I didn't see any blood on her so I didn't really think too much about that, although the whole situation made me pretty suspicious. So after she left the bathroom, I immediately went into the stall she had been in, noticed a little bit more blood on the partitions, and that the stuff on the floor had been smeared around like someone had been trying to clean it up. I checked to make sure it couldn't have come from anything else, and then went back to cleaning because, again, I hadn't noticed anything on her.

When I got back to the front counter I said, "Um...I think a girl was cutting herself in the bathroom." I can't remember what everyone said, I'm not sure if anyone took me that seriously. I kind of just wanted to tell the story since that's what I do with certain people there, tell them about stupid things other people do. I didn't take the situation that seriously either. But nobody could find her for a while, and everyone I worked with was like "Oh, she probably went to kill herself," and about half an hour later, a bunch of cops and paramedics showed up. I guess my boss had called them. As soon as that first cop walked in the door, I felt an immediate wave of guilt. If they had asked me "Why didn't you do anything?" I wouldn't have been able to answer. I just don't think I was that concerned with it, and I felt horrible about that. But anyway...

My boss asked me again about it, and I said I had just been guessing about the whole thing, and I wasn't sure, and he probably shouldn't have taken me that seriously since I hadn't seen anything actually wrong with her. But then he told me that there was dried blood on her arms, and that obviously stopped me, and I just answered with "oh." After a while, the paramedics took her away, and her wrists were all bandaged up.

I was told that I looked really nervous while the cops and stuff were there, but I'm pretty sure it was more a matter of me feeling guilty for just telling everyone the story and then not worrying about it. One guy told me I saved her life, and he expected to see my Facebook status change to reflect that, but I didn't really do anything. I still feel really bad about the whole situation, but I also know that no one would probably have known about her if I hadn't said anything. Ugh, I don't know. I just feel bad about not really doing anything.

And I know this is long, and I know it doesn't really make much sense, but I rewrote it three times, and I can't get it to be any shorter or flow any better. So sorry about that.

Currently Listening To: David Cook, "Lie"

No comments: